Sunday, September 27, 2015

Treasures Of A Woman, Us And Them

A beautiful morning here in the valley of the sun. As you can see, it's about 7:30, Sunday morning as I write this and drink my coffee. I am pondering my estate sale experience from yesterday. I haven't really been to many professional estate sales, as I always thought them to be rather expensive. I saw them put up the sign on Friday as I was jogging by in my neighborhood. The sale was at a house right across the street from me. I just had to check this one out!
 I had seen the elderly woman who lived there, in passing. I said hello to her a few times while she was getting the mail. She kept to herself, and seemed leary of wanting to strike up a conversation. I knew of her a little from some information another neighbor had shared with me about her. She was an elderly woman who kept to herself mostly. She had lived alone and you rarely saw her. Her son lived in a different state and so I imagine she was very alone!
 I assume that she passed away, although no one running the sale knew the circumstances. I am kicking myself now that she is gone, that I didn't take the time to get to know her. I could have imposed myself a bit to see if she would have desired a friend. As I was walking around in her home, I found that she and I liked so many of the same things. She was a collector of seasonal décor beyond anyone I have ever known. Her treasures were beautiful and the things that she choose to have around her were precious and sentimental. Her books were of great interest to my book worm 13 year old. She found a beautiful poetry book and a collection of Shakespeare books that were a real find! I thought it interesting that both my daughter and I were wishing to know more about her. One of the books that my daughter was scanning through had a bookmark in a section on grief... I have a feeling that this lady had spent years trying to work through her own grief as she was alone for many years! I so wish that I would have just pushed a little harder to get to know her. I am sure she herself, was a treasure!

She left behind many "things" but hopefully she has found herself in a better place minus her grief...
I'm grateful for some of her treasures and although I didn't know her well, I have a sense of who she was now.  I feel that I missed out on a knowing a wonderful and
 special person! Here are some pictures of the estate sale treasures that I found at her home...

Pumpkin soup tureen...
This is a charming tealight candle holder for Thanksgiving...

adorable!
Another darling Christmas tealight holder...
Precious Santa with his sack filled with toys.
This is the most beautiful Easter decoration! I am thrilled to add this to my Easter décor.

As I look over all of my new finds, it's a bit like the seasons threw up when displayed all together.
I will treasure these finds, I just wish I would have taken more time to get to know the woman who adored these first!
Us And Them written by Pink Floyd.

No comments: