Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Coffee Inspired





It's feast or famine with the creative process. Have you ever noticed that creativity seems to come in waves? When you're hot you're hot and when you're not, you're really NOT! I wish creativity was something that you could turn on and off on demand.
As I sit here and ponder my next creative endeavor, I am reminded of something my wise mother used to say to me often..." Be careful of what you want, you might get it." This piece of peculiar wisdom has been true too many times. Following are my own thoughts of, "Oh damn, I zigged when I should have zagged! " The notorious reprimand we give ourself after something we thought that we wanted to have happen simply isn't what we thought it would be. The woulda, shoulda, could've epiphany we 
have when life doesn't go according to plan. Especially when you have no real plan other than to 
make it through whatever you have fashioned for yourself lol.

I have had plenty of those types of experiences! We hope we learn and grow from them. We assume 
and have been told that experiences,  (even bad ones), give us character. When you look upon your 
life and the choices that you have made, you see not only bad choices but the resolution of those choices. How exactly you dealt with adversity and overcame these difficulties. I'm not sure what the point of all of this testing of ourselves is but every person must choose and design their life experience.
Some of us are better than others at designing and creating their careers. They decide early on what 
role they want to play in society. They understand themselves really well. They understand through
interest, skillset and strengths just who they want to become professionally. They seem to be able to 
hone in on the right vibe/network in which to create, showcase and excel/ flourish!

Others of us flounder around trying things, but never come to a finite conclusion where they fit in any one particular career. Kind of feeling like they are on the outside looking in. We work hard at everything we try to do...hard working within whatever it is that we endeavor to do... We just never feel as if we are getting anywhere. So much of this life on earth is about financial success and net worth. Aspiring to be the best, make the most money and have all of the finest toys. Work hard/play 
hard...
All of this is fine but at what cost to our families? I run by a liscensed daycare facility on my jogging 
route. What I see is heartbreaking...kids playing on the playground is a given...but, their are always a 
few who come up to the gate, looking outward with a blanket or stuffed animal in tow. Tears and wails of saddness from missing Mom and Dad. Breaks my heart. I just want to scoop them up and 

hug them.
I am also reminded from my Mom's passing this very poignant realization...we come into this world without a stich of anything...not even clothing...we leave this planet  without even taking our lipstick...  What happens in between that we choose for ourselves ...important yes! All about making 
money? I'm thinking, not so important. The knowledge and information that we gain by having experienced life, living and adversity...Priceless!

Where's My PhD 

I get the biggest kick out of watching them succeed! This you will always have my dears  the beginning of your dream. Life's triumphs are but far and few between- and all that is coming, of yet,
remains to be seen.

What I am wondering is where's my PhD ? A life of hard knocks has been the life for me.. I've earned it and I'd like to know which University, hands out diplomas, to people  just like me? Life experience and plenty of hard places...I found my way out of many tight spaces. In retrospect I can see, the wisdom in all thats come to be but I still want that PhD!

That frame-able reminder of all that I've been through. Knowing it's been worth something and that others see it to. The work it's been to get here and the sense of pride I feel. It might sound silly to you, but to me it's a big deal!  I want that piece of paper that acknowledgement to me, a handshake and a nod from alumni and  faculty...  The accomplishment that comes after all the hard works done...I want my second act now, it's time to have some fun!

Be a mover and a shaker and really kick some ass but do it with dignity and hopefully with class. Be a world beater but be kind to those you meet, be the best that you can be and don't feel you have to
compete. For the world has plenty of room for those with PhD's in life experience, this I tell myself when I'm tired and delirious.

For those who have taken care of others and been the overseers, I want to impart kudos to you for you really are great leaders! For teaching the world that it's ok to help others accomplish a goal. Makes you instrumental in the world,as a whole! For it takes a village as one wise woman proclaimed. You can take that knowledge and hopefully no shame, that you have helped the greater good and probably overcame- obstacles  in abundance, frustration and some blame.

So this I have to say, Congratulations on earning this degree! The School Of Hard Knocks
acknowledges your hard work and tenacity! I give to you this honorary degree of PhD in Applied Life Science of Hard Knocks and Misery. Now go out there and make this ole world a better place to
be! The possibilities are endless for those  with this degree.

Philosophers, life coaches and writers all take heed, their are no greater teachers than our lives that we all must lead. The education comes to us all in different ways, the hows and whys differ but the result is all the same. Whatever our misfortune, our plight to overcome, we look upon our history, this is what we draw from. We find a way to make "it" work whatever "It", may be and this is how we navigate life's harsh adversity.

So when you gaze upon my plaque and question my credentials, I'll have you look into my soul  and show you my life's hurdles. That got me to this place of honor that I hold today . This I will always look upon, cherish and display!  For I have  knowledge and wisdom that only life can teach. I feel
accomplished and confident that I have truly reached, a level worthy of excepting this prestigious
PhD, and I'm so glad Ive had the chance to learn all  that I can be!  Now here's to fun and happiness for all eternity!  Learnings done and funs begun and maybe I will see, the journey that I took, didn't come from a book...It came from me!









No comments: