Thursday, April 14, 2016

My Feminine Perspective Gives Me Pause Sometimes It's Just The Challenge!

img_2338

If I told you how difficult this song is to do you  probably wouldn’t understand why. It’s not my best song, it’s not full of piano solos… It by far is the most challenging cover I have done to date. So much going on in it from timing, to vocals, to lots of lyrics… Not to mention the length of the song… I haven’t mastered it because I probably won’t. I can’t sing well in this range, but for this song, I tried. I cover other songs that this artist does but I don’t even try to sing them. The meaning of this song just hits home in so many ways that my heart is so full, I dare try to sing this. Here is the link to my home video that appears on my Facebook page. I keep wanting to delete it as I can barely get through watching it myself. I look terrible. Hair is awful, and barely any makeup…The quality of the video isn’t that good. My camera was too close in proximity to my PA speaker so the vocals are more prevalent. I can give you a bunch of reasons why this isn’t perfect. If I’m honest, it wouldn’t be no matter how many times I try to redo this. It is however, a true representation of me, trying! Only Roger Hodgson can do this justice. It is however, a very difficult song that he makes look effortless! To cover an artist you find an appreciation and total respect for their genuis and efforts. My heart is full for this man!
In my arrangement, I changed it slightly to be from a female perspective. I incorporated a rather fairy tale aspect/reference. I tried to make it feminine. I don’t know how it comes across but that was my intent…
A friend of mine made a comment on my page about she thinks it’s great that I put myself out there… I thought about this as a minute. At first that comment stung a little. I was embarrassed…Then, I thought about why I do any of this… I’m obviously not very good. Nobody has tried to sign me or snatch me up… So realistically I keep doing this because???
I’m pretty shy? It’s kind of like Toastmasters, public speaking. It puts me out there being rather brave and risking humiliation. I’m not very confrontational in life so this puts me out there being rather confrontational! It also exerts a kind of might within my will. Keeps me from being a victim, my way of speaking out! Otherwise, I become invisible to myself. My way of exerting /excercising my will and spirit! Also, it uses areas of my brain that hopefully stave off Alzheimer’s or dementia lol. These are all of my justifications for doing this…
The biggest desire of doing this song is it’s creator. I have the biggest appreciation for Roger Hodgson’s music. He is an idol of mine who’s music has permiated my soul… To cover his songs, gives me a deeper appreciation for his music.
Click here for my Facebook link…Hide In Your Shell
Good or bad it took my effort, time and purposeful thought to generate this. Say what you will but sometimes it’s just the challenge!

No comments: