Tuesday, May 17, 2016

It Doesn't Matter How You Get There Just Get There!

It Doesn't Matter How You Get There Just Get There!



Tonight this young lady has a "Promotion" ceremony to attend. High School next year! Time is flying! Last day of school is on Thursday. So many things going on this month! Yesterday was spent on constructing a letter and gathering info. Time and energy wasted. I will be glad when this whole court issue with my Granddaughter is resolved. Anytime you have to be in family court it's a negative waste of energy as far as I see it.  Someone always loses and hearts are broken/ shattered! I detest having to deal with the drama and negative energy that comes with a court case.

I had a little time or maybe I just stole a little time to dust this off. Obviously I didn't waste time to dust off the case lol, yuck!

I haven't played in years and it probably shows but it's interesting that you don't forget how. Like riding a bike, you just do it!  This was my flute in grade school so it's some 40+ years old!  Some things you never part with! I took this along with a saxophone that I rented, and all my school books. I would traipse through plowed snow and snow drifts in a cumbersome maxi coat carrying so much stuff! I was a band geek. I played everything by ear and still do. I could never be first chair because I didn't read music although I played really well back in the day. My band teacher would always call on me to play passages in example of how it should sound. I didn't read music but I could just play it.

Even today the most frustrating part of my musical ability is that I get no respect. I don't read music so therefore I'm somehow a lesser musician? Something surprises me about my experience with YouTube. I have had several people ask me to share my sheet music. When I tell them that I don't read music they ask me to do a video showing my fingers from a different camera angle so they can copy me. I find that a lot of people request the sheet music for the Supertramp cover songs that I do. Apparently the sheet music is hard to come by and mega expensive I've been told. So rather than  listen to the song for what it is I'm to show them how to play it? It's strange. This has been my experience a lot with the Supertramp covers that I do.  Obviously you can sense I'm annoyed that they want instruction videos rather than just listening.

My husband's family for instance, don't consider me to be a musician. They disregard what I play because I don't read music. I'm so confused as to why it matters how you get there, as long as you can get there? All of my life I have felt this way! Do I wish that I could just put a piece of paper in front of me and know what to play? Yes sometimes maybe. I do however get so much satisfaction from just letting the music come and feeling it...
https://soundcloud.com/tyna-j-phipps/colour-my-world-written-by

No comments: