A G.A.L After My Own Heart

img_5178-1
Help on my Homefront. Alissa’s attorney came to visit us yesterday. She has been instrumental in helping us along in this journey for nearly two years now. She has been my go to person since the beginning phase of this process. When we first met, she was a new G.A.L, attorney for children in the DCS system. Andrea Hartman has a very kind heart for children. She plays at length with Alissa when she comes out to visit. A court hearing coming up on Monday necessitated her visit to us. The court is holding a follow up hearing regarding the progress of the case. I gave this attorney an ear full about the way in which DCS has been conducting their portion of this case. I am angry and sorely dissatisfied with delays and the lack of attention we have received from the dept. Not to mention the things that weren’t done that should have been causing delays with our final hearing date! The blatant disregard for my time and disparaging remarks aimed at questioning my integrity … This department has made adopting my Granddaughter so very difficult and so not fun! Andrea, bless her heart, listened and offered to help expedite this process. She says she will talk to the judge for us and see if the judge can move things along. Andrea seems to agree that we should be able to wrap this all up quickly now. The dept. is sending a caseworker out to fingerprint us today. Also, the court appointed advocate is coming out today to spend some time with Alissa and gather information for her report to the court. I also really like Kathy, our court advocate! Between these two ladies, the judge will no doubt get a clear picture.

 I am attending the hearing on Monday as well. I made refreshments for our meeting yesterday. Andrea has been there and done her best to protect Alissa. She has walked me through this process in ensuring that Alissa’s case didn’t fall through the cracks. I have had to be proactive in places that I didn’t know I could go… Painful and most difficult places regarding my own daughter. Andrea, has been there for me as I have had to take charge and step in. I thought this was just precious yesterday. Andrea and Alissa read a library book together. At the end of the story was a song. Andrea played the song on my old as me piano, and they sang together!
​   
Andrea Hartman renews my faith in humankind. She is truly one of the greats in Maricopa County serving children who really need a voice and protection from life’s harsh realities. 

Love this G.A.L!