Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Adoration Falls Deaf On The Compassion Impaired

Nothing drives me more nuts than being ill perceived. It humbles me to my core. Being misconstrued is most frustrating! I haven't the energy to chase people around and prove my intent or my life mission statement.I have had a very humbling experience with trying to find my niche in music. Lots of doors slammed in my face, tons of rejection and a lot of humbling silence. For someone like me who doesn't like to compete, I sure have put myself out there and into a huge shark tank. A virtual free for all for recognition and acceptance. It's not as much fun as I thought it would be!
What started as a desire to do something more than nothing has proven to be a bitter pill... I got an email full of discouragment from someone in the biz whom I truly admired. This artists manager let me know how this artist feels about covers of his music. If it were up to this artist he would take down all of the cover artists on YouTube. He apparently hates people to cover his songs. This mans manager inplies that the whole music industry is about to quash any and all covers done by indie artists. Slapping copyright infringements on all cover artists. She also eludes to a takedown of all of the covers on YouTube!
I was told in no uncertain terms that I should remove all of my cover videos in an effort to protect my channel on YouTube and SoundCloud. This particular hired mouthpiece comes via one of my most highly regarded artist. Here is a letter that I wrote:
Subject: Cover use of a few Roger Hodgson songs...
Dear Ms. Gianotti,
I am a housewife who plays piano by ear. I'm asking permission to cover a few of Roger's songs for my YouTube channel. It is mostly for my own enjoyment. I am not looking to make money and have
not received monetary compensation on anything that I cover. 
I have three of my own originals that I hope to do something with! I cover various artists and if you 
would like to check out my channel please feel free to do so under  the name, Tyna J. Metzner. I also 
have a SoundCloud channel in the same name. I am and have been a fan of Roger's music for 35+
years. What an incredible songwriter/ artist!

The songs I would like to cover of Roger's are of the following...
Fool's Overture
Dreamer
Don't Leave Me Now
Hide In Your Shell

I would very much like to be able to post my covers of these songs on my YouTube channel!
Please let me know if and how I might be able to do so...

Thank you for your time! 

Sincerely,

Tyna J. Metzner

Here is the response that I got back...







Hello Tyna,
Thank you for your message and thank you for being such a big fan of Roger Hodgson’s.    Regarding
uploading cover videos on YouTube, you may or may not be aware that anytime a video or audio 
using copyrighted lyrics and/or composition is uploaded on YouTube or any other video site/website,
a sync license is required.   Whether or not a monetaray profit is made from the video(s) or audio is
not relevant.  Universal Music owns the publishing rights to Roger’s songs and therefore they would need to grant such a license.   As a side note and to protect your channel and other sites, please be aware that labels and their representatives are in the process of removing thousands of unlicensed videos and audio files from YouTube and other sites for copyright infringement.   
We wish you the best of luck with your endeavors and hope you continue with your musical aspirations.  

Best to you,

Linda Tyler
 Needless to say,  many thoughts ran through my mind after I read this. I really resent the tone of this. 
Condescending and so territorial! The farthest thing from wishing someone good luck in their 
endeavors. 
Never mind the spirit and adoration in which prompted my covers of  this mans songs. If I'm honest I 
admit feeling crushed! Crushed in spirit and my loyalty as a devoted fan. I guess in someway I was hoping that Roger Hodgson's camp would find my adoration to be sweet or charming?

On my two mile powerwalk This morning I had time to ponder this humbling confrontation...I realize  that things and people are never what you think they are. Perception is subjective with a ton of varibles. You can't try to impose yourself on people even if your intention is to make them smile. People don't give a damn about anything or anyone other than their own agenda. If you don't fit within thier opportunistic venue to them you don't belong. The egos of big name artists kill me! 

 I will continue onward but with an understanding that nobody in the music biz wants to see me do well unless I pay them.😞

*Adoration falls deaf on those who are campassionate impaired. What happened to humility and humanity?
* I suppose part of me feels like a jilted lover whos affection is not returned. Silly that a 35 + year adoration of music can make you feel that way! Maybe I would understand this discompassionate thinking if I was a successful artist? Would I treat my fans like this?
I think this stinks!  What an eye opener and a huge disappointment!
Yet another ephinany and humbling experience to add to  my PhD in life experience.




No comments: