Friday, July 25, 2014

What's Going On In That Beautiful Mind???

https://soundcloud.com/tyna-j-phipps/do-you-dream-of-me-written-byhttps://soundcloud.com/tyna-j-phipps/critics-choice-written-byhttps://soundcloud.com/tyna-j-phipps/till-we-meet-again-written-byhttps://soundcloud.com/tyna-j-phipps/alma-mater-written-by-chicago
Yesterday was a SoundCloud day! I took time off for me and played, " the keys to my happiness". I had a wonderful,peaceful and relaxing morning. I actually posted 6 new songs to my SoundCloud account. These are just the Chicago cover songs that I posted.

My love for Chicago goes way back to when I was 11 years old. 25 Or 6 to 4 was popular. I had just 
joined the school band. I decided to try the flute. As soon as I was able to actually get a good quality sound to come out of my flute, I could play it. The fingering was rather easy and it was another instrument that I could just play. I was better at actually playing than the rest of my peers. My band 
instructor would ask me to demonstrate to the band what random flute passages should sound like. I could never be first chair because I couldn't read music. This drove my wonderful band instructor nuts. He so wanted to teach me to read music. He really believed in my ability to play. He thought enough of my gift that he tried to help me. 

He would pull me out of math and science classes to take me down to the band room to try to teach me to read. When I struggled, he would hum the passage and then of course, I got it and he would get frustrated with himself for humming it. I never did acquire the reading music skill. I haven't tried to learn how to read music as an adult. I even took private lessons from him at his house, Mom paid him. By this time I had picked up playing the saxophone too. To no avail, I just wanted to play. I never understood why I could play well but couldn't read music. I now believe that I had/have savant syndrome which is a form of autism I have found out. I have not been diagnosed with this but I'm 
pretty darn sure that this explains a lot of my life struggles. 

It's interesting how savant manifests. I found that I also have an uncanny ability for retaining medical terminology and business letter writing. I am however horrible with learning math. I have enough math skills for what I need in life but I'm almost phobic about having to try to learn math and take classes. I watched my husband recently struggle with Algebra I and II and I thought no way could I do that! No way would I want to put myself through that! I think it's so interesting what our brains can manifest. My father is a brilliant genius in science and chemistry! He was not so gifted with the business side of things. Which leads me to believe that none of us get to have it all. We can have heightened areas of genius but we lack in other areas of our lives...


No comments: