Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Time is fleeting, leave your "mark" upon this earth!

I saw these new white ducks that have come to live in our H.O.A. pond while on my walk today. They are a beautiful addition to our community and I, appreciate them! How they can exist in 110+heat  baffles me, but ok. This was one of my views on my walk this am.
Where does the time go? I keep feeling like I have to hurry up and do something great with my life! I feel as if I'm  trying hard to get somewhere but I'm not making it anywhere. I keep shouting out to the Universe but nothing ever comes back! I keep trying to make a difference in everything and everyone I touch... I want so much to do something that will leave my mark upon this earth!
This intense desire is fueled no doubt in seeing the progression of  my Dad's battle with Alzheimer's. This brilliant man who in his lifetime has achieved greatness! He served in two wars, WWII and the
Korean War. Graduated from Cornell University with a Master's Degree in Organic Chemistry. Was
then quite literally a rocket scientist with Aerojet General back in the 60's. Then into a career in
Plastics. He amazed us all by inventing a polystyrene insulation process that we all know today as " Foamular" distributed by Owens Corning. ( The Pink Panther foam boards you can buy at Home Depot). He designed dies and extruders and later became a consultant for hire regarding polystyrene insulation!
In his recent later years he became interested in the " Universe ". He used whatever information
mathematical calculation and the hypothesis of others to arrive at no doubt profound discovery! He was so excited to tell me that he had found something out about the Universe that would completely rock the scientific world. He was writing a book that was going to share this new discovery when
sadly, Alzheimer's robbed him of his ability to complete his endeavor. He still to this day speaks of trying to finish this book. Unfortunately,  for all of us really, this is not possible. This disease has taken from my father his most valued attribute, his brain. I see the frustration and the longing in his eyes to finish up what he had started. My sister and I have tried to see if we can help accomplish this
for him. The secrets/ discovery he feels he made lies within him and sadly won't be realized in his
lifetime.
Being witness to this has struck a chord in me that whatever I want/ need to do with my life needs to be done before I'm too old!  The clock is ticking for all of us. Don't put off trying to fulfill your greatness, whatever that may be! Leave your good and solid mark upon this earth, sooner rather than later!
My Dad, sister Joy and I Father's Day 2014.
Arthur L. Phipps the inventor of Foamular.

1 comment:

tynajoymetzner said...

Please excuse the breaks in the format of this post. I didn't write it this way and when I go into edit the text it doesn't appear this way. Not sure how to go in and fix it! Frustrating... Please know that I am aware of the structural mistakes...