Thursday, January 29, 2015

Where Do We Go From Here

Thank God for sweet kitties! This little gal Clarice is a great source of comfort when life gets really sad. Today I'm thinking about my Dad. He is in the throws of dying. He couldn't wake up to talk to me during our 4 hour visit there. Of course after I left, he woke up for a bit. So sad. I hear from his wife and my sister that they feel the end is near which prompted my day trip to Tucson. I hate like hell having to say goodbye to him. I always have...

My father was always traveling when I was young. He was a VP of plastics engineering for a lot of my childhood. Around my teen years he came up with an idea for inventing polystyrene insulation. He rented a hillside in Fairview, PA. Dad and Mom began an arduous process of building and proving a pilot plant for production of this product. My sister and I helped with this process. He taught us how



to run density tests on the foam boards that he produced in this pilot plant.He aquired and still holds patents on extruders and dies that he developed. My father invented what we all know as Owens Corning Foamular. A polystyrene insulation used in the construction of homes, commercial buildings and for use under roads.

Dad with a sample of the bead board that he invented. This was taken in the first plant built in Tallmadge,Ohio. Sheets and sheets of the same board are stacked behind him.

Patents...


This was his life work. He traveled the world getting plants up and running for production of this product.

In his lifetime he was a Master Sargent in the Army. He served in the Korean War and in World War II.

When he returned home he went on to achieve a Masters in Organic Chemistry from Cornell University. 
He worked for Aero Jet General as a Rocket Scientist...This is a brilliant man...
My biggest regret is that he never saw me do anything great with my life. I have taken care of people 
my whole adult life. He knew that I was working on my music again but I have nothing noteable (lol) to brag about. I so wanted to make him proud... Maybe in the next life?

He inspired me to realize that time is fleeting, leave your mark upon this earth!







No comments: