Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Bake, Bake Bake That Rum Cake



 Gift platter contents...


                                               Homemade bread was baked... Guess I was too caught up in it to take a pic of the bread...


Finished gift platter...

I have been in my kitchen baking for three days! This Christmas elfing is hard work! I baked eight
different batches of cookies.  Six loaves of homemade bread and my mother's rum cake. I had to assemble and wrap six gift platters and a huge box of cookies. Meanwhile, my husbands office was
having a potluck so I made a huge quanity of homemade mac and cheese. I'm also getting ready for 
the Christmas get together tonight with all of my kids and G-kids. Whew...

I am sure that a lot of people are feeling the Christmas readiness crunch. I notice that people are really focused and seem to be on a mission everywhere you go. I have decided that I really am cut out for elfing. If I could create a job for myself it would be a goodwill ambassador position. Surely the
world could use a few more of these.

The bread that I baked was my Uncle Ed's Olive Oil Loaf recipe. My Uncle had been perfecting this recipe right up to the time he passesd away last year. He was working on a packaging and marketing strategy in which to market this semi homemade product.  I decided that I would try to incorporate his bread into my holiday gift platters. I thought the world of my Uncle, he lived with illness and health issues for years. You never thought of him as sick because he chose to live to the fullest inspite of his health. He was busy and had a great enterprising mind. Not to mention his love, support and encouragement that you really felt. He was funny beyond belief... Always had up cracking up! To say he is missed is an understatement. Today is his birthday so I have been thinking about him a lot.

I also made my Mom's Rum Cake for the family Christmas party. I haven't made this recipe since
my Mom passed away 12 years ago. My big kids remembered the cake and the flavor of the cake. It
was nice to have that fond memory of my Mom at my family Christmas get together!

Mom's Rum Cake 


Dessert table at my family get together ...











No comments: