Christmas In July Takes On New Meaning For Me

image

Fool’s Overture is written by Roger Hodgson.
Needless to say when I found out that Roger Hodgson is coming to town around Christmas, I was ecstatic! This would truly be on my Christmas wish list!
Here is a small clip of a really special to me, cover. This song in it’s entirety is 7+ minutes long. The original that Roger Hodgson plays is minutes longer than that! This original by Roger really conveys to you the musical genuis that he is. I used to play this as an instrumental only. I decided recently to try playing it with the vocals. The vocals are out of my comfort zone range wise which is why I never sang them. Very soprano for my alto voice! I never have reached the end and said wow, I did it. I reach the end and I say hmmm, ok. I decided that at 54, the vocals don’t need to be perfect, they just need to be there! The intensity and desire to attempt this grand song is here… This song struck a chord (pardon the pun), in me the first time I heard it. Brilliant and amazing were my first impressions as I listened with fresh ears. It sparked the music savant in me and at age 15, I began playing this on my piano.  Almost 40 years ago! Although I have never played it verbatim as it appears on the album. Impossible to do with all of the special effects! This is the essence and what came across and stuck with me. Here I am some 40 years later playing this of my own arrangement/ interpretation. My SoundCloud cover upload below, is in it’s entirety.
Something tells me that Roger Hodgson is like me in that he probably doesn’t sit down and write music in symbols? I wonder if he reads music at all! Maybe he does? This is something I would want to ask him if I ever had the chance. I don’t read music at all. I just play. This doesn’t mean it’s easy. I get the framework of a song but many times struggle to find certain chords. Some songs are more challenging than others to put together. Playing by ear is so rewarding though!

He and his band are playing at the Celebrity Theater here in Phoenix on Dec. 2nd! Of course I will be in attendance. My oldest daughter Britt and I will go together! A few years back I attended a concert of her favorite band, Big Bad Voo Doo Daddy. Just so happens it was right around Christmas as well! It was a magical evening. I was thrilled that she got to meet in person her favorite singer, Scotty! A cherished shared memory for us both! I was so glad that I got to share in this magical moment! I snapped this wonderful bucket list photo of Britt with Scotty in a hug.
IMG_0617
I hope to be able to meet Roger Hodgson as well. I have written to his fan club to ask for a couple of meet and greet passes. I sure hope that his manager will allow me the opportunity! I definitely have this on my bucket list to do even if for a brief moment! The music of Roger Hodgson has influenced and shaped my musical thinking nearly my whole life. Few artists are able to incorporate classical and total Rock stylings so well. He has spiritual and historical references in his lyrics here. Quite a lot of his songs are very spiritual and soul to soul speaking. Making his songs so relatable they bring you to tears! A gifted, gifted songwriter! Is it any wonder that I would dream of coming face to face with this great musical genuis?
Ps. The featured picture in this post is of my newest Temp-tations ware. These came together as a set of the dragonfly pattern. I used them together yesterday for a weeknight meal. They were perfect for my homemade pasta salad and my special baked beans. I enjoy having them so much! Thanks Tara and QVC!