Old Dreams Never Die They Just Take A Back Seat

When I was a teen, I was a part of this. “Blackland Freight”. We were a band on the central coast of CA. We gigged around the entire central coast. My peers knew of me from my time I spent with this band. I’d like to think we were memorable and pretty darned good! When this band parted ways, I chose to not pick a side. As a result, I just didn’t play professionally anymore… I got busy with life and school… I absolutely had the best experience with this group of young men. They were all like big brothers to me and I loved them! They watched out for me and put a few rowdy guys in their place at times! What an amazing experience this was for me… I remember thinking, “I can’t believe I’m getting paid to have so much fun!”

The band was already founded when I joined. Named after it’s founders, Eddie Blackburn, Larry Newland and Johnny Freitas. 

Some dreams never die… I’ve thought a lot about trying to find a niche with another band. I’d absolutely love to be a part of a gigging, paying band! I think for me personally, this is what would make me the happiest! I cherish the memory of this time in my life❤️. I want this again for myself, I’m not done yet! I long to be a part of a band again. 

With COVID-19 looming, opportunity to find a band is limited. I do hope we can start returning to a more normal state of being! I have finally secured an appointment to get my first dose of Covid vaccine. It took a long time to find a vaccine site with available appointments! I was able to book appointments for my eligible daughters as well. So, we are vaccinating together! I have gone through a lot of back and forth trepidation about getting vaccinated. I’ve decided to be part of the solution. I want the ability to let go of the daily worry that Covid-19 has been for me. It will be nice to feel a bit more at peace with being present in public. I want some freedom back as well. It’s time to live, I’m tired of hiding away and being invisible again. 

Picture credits from left to right- Hal Hannula, Larry Newland, (Me), Tyna Phipps, Bob Cook and Eddie Blackburn. The photo was taken by our mixer/ Soundguy, Ray Baynham. The pic was taken at the Amtrak station in San Luis Obispo. Pic taken in the late 70’s… I know, I’m showing my age or my experience depending on your interpretation…

My oldest daughter and her husband recently received their first Pfizer dose of vaccine. Most of the POD’s are drive thru vaccine sites. Mine will be as well. My daughter briefed me that she was in the passenger seat of the car. Her injection was given into her right arm. She’s right handed and it was really painful to use her arm for a few days after the vaccination. So, I have made a mental note! When my turn comes, I’ll simply turn to face the back of my seat to expose my left arm! 

Tender Years is written by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. This, is my cover…