Beat The Heat Father’s Day Retreat

Father’s Day is a mixed bag for me. I vacillate between missing my Dad privately and immensely, to busting my butt to make sure it’s nice for my husband. Honestly a busy day from the minute my feet hit the floor when I get out of bed. I have to say that I was so happy with the way the day progressed! I even got a chance to hang out with my oldest daughter and her husband to be. That, was a nice impromptu surprise. My husband bought a 36 in grill that he had been eyeballing for awhile. The price was right and he picked it up for a great deal.  We are thrilled to own this beautiful outdoor cooking tool! This pic was of our first grilling experience. Father’s Day he decided he wanted to make street tacos for dinner. Mind you it was 115 degrees outside! Anyway, we adults drove to the nearest Food City for carne asada meat, homemade salsa and all of the trimmings. I have to admit that dinner was delicious!
Father’s Day Dinner!
Earlier I made brunch for all of us… French Toast with homemade whipped cream and strawberries. I spent a great deal in my kitchen yesterday with food prep but mostly cleaning up! Dishes and organizing took time… I’m always either loading or unloading the dishwasher… I do my fair share of hand washing dishes as well… Hence my dishpan hands…
I see in my pic here that my whipped cream was fading fast…
Daughter Zoe had put together a beautiful slideshow presentation of some of our family excursions and events. This really touched us both! It was awesome and such a great way to celebrate her Dad. We have dubbed her the, “family historian”. Last year we asked that she take pics at all of our get togethers as we are too busy hosting. 
My gift to my husband was also picture related. I thought maybe he could use new pics for his desk at work. Walgreens had an awesome 50% off coupon online for these wooden plaque type of pictures. I choose my three favorite  family pics from our recent trip to California. The plaques turned out prettier than I could have imagined! So pretty that I dreaded parting with them! My husband suggested that we put them on the piano. I found a perfect space for them lol. I suppose they will never see the office. Yay!

My husband went to the grocery store for propane and ice, and came back with this little blow up pool… I thought this gesture was sooo sweet! The kids had a great time in it! Perfect for the heat we are anticipating 120+ degree temps are possible this week! Look at my poor dead grass! We didn’t overseed for summer this year… too much going on. We will reseed in September or October. Desert Living is about adapting to the heat!

After a busy day of cooking and running around in the heat I was glad he found a shallow retreat! I actually did too! A 15 min. submerge made all of the difference! A nice cool off was the recharge we needed…
Hope you had a wonderful Father’s Day as well. This one for us will go down in the record books as one of the best! It was truly just special. Sometimes, it really is the little things…
I Believe In Love-written by Elton John (Cover)