Evolving And Revolving Around Gender Inequities In Music

Sometimes, speaking out about a personal experience makes you feel better. Sometimes, it doesn’t. Although I experienced this yesterday and I spoke about this on my Facebook page this am. I’m still not feeling better… I’m blogging about it. I’m still thinking, tossing it around in my head. I’m sure many women come up against this kind of gender prejudice on the daily. It’s sad, so sad to think that it’s 2021 and we as people, still have to deal with gender biases and inequalities! Ugh come on! 

I’m not likely to quit covering men’s songs. My vocal range is better suited for songs that men have written. The songs that I cover hold a special place near and dear. I never thought about the gender of a song. What does it matter if a song is written by a man or a woman? If I take the time to learn a cover, the cover is from my female perspective. I would think that would be implied lol. Covers are never meant to be done verbatim… They come from a place of adoration and respect for the original artist and creation. To be misunderstood with such a sexist remark is disheartening to the arts! I get that my music is subjective and not everyone is going to have kind words to say. Plenty of mean, unflattering comments have come my way. Put yourself out there and they, will come… This though was something else. This, made me angry 😡.