Monday, October 14, 2024

Embracing The Culinary Delights Of My Ancestry Story

 tynajoymetzner

Embracing The Culinary Delights Of My Ancestry Story

This is my first year of truly celebrating since I found out my true biological dna revelation. My newly discovered Native American heritage inspired me to make a Cherokee meal. I found this recipe on the web and it is delicious! So delicious it may be a new yearly treasure.

This may very well be a new tradition as it was unique and truly full of flavor. Oklahoma Frybread Tacos! They, are soooo good! My biological father’s family came from Muskogee Oklahoma. I imagine this meal is similar to one my father Bobby may have eaten growing up? I bet my Gram Faye, made a recipe much like this. I heard from a cousin that her frybread was amazing. I also was told she was a wonderful cook! I so wish I hadn’t missed out on knowing these wonderful people!

I would have cherished the recipes and learning about the rich Native American history that is throughout both sides of my biological dad’s parents. 

This is just a start of my Native American exploration journey. Creating and sharing food recipes is a great way to learn about a culture. I feel maybe just a little bit more connected to my authentic self . I’m glad that I made an attempt to join in and immerse myself into the culinary aspect of this rich culture. What would it have been like to grow up with the knowledge and sense of belonging to this culture? How would that have changed me and my perspective? What would I have gained being raised at least partly with the lessons and traditions of Native American history?

I’m working through the heartbreaking realization that I’ll never have the chance to know my biological father. He passed away long before I found out that he was my father. I’m still struggling with realization and losses.

I’ll have to make do with whatever I can learn myself about the people, traditions and the culture. I have approached trying to become part of the Cherokee tribe. I will need to find a knowledgeable person to guide me through this difficult process. My situation is complicated but not impossible. I really would feel blessed, grateful and accepted if I were able to join and be recognized as a tribal member.

My friend gave me a pair of sweet Native American earrings last year. This is my first time wearing them today. 
This is the recipe I chose to make in honor of this celebration. 
I cut up a lot of trimmings for these tacos…

I made the authentic chili that goes on top of the frybread. It’s so delicious…
Making the Frybread was rather easy ! Not as involved as anticipated. I doubled the recipe. 
I flattened them out even more before frying them. 

Not bad for my first time! They were pretty easy to make. 

My completed taco. 
A better pic. 
maybe? 
Charlotte sat on Luna’s kennel watching me in the kitchen this afternoon. She’s sweet and so much company ❤️. 

I hope to be able to write more positive and and loving things along my journey to learn more about my Native American Cherokee heritage. 

Pumpkin pie just sounded good so I made one! 

I hope you had a wonderful day! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog post!

No comments: