Friday, July 5, 2024

My Independence Day Poke Cake Shortcake

 tynajoymetzner

My Independence Day Poke Cake Shortcake

This was pretty easy and by far my most delicious shortcake- 

I started by baking a white cake using milk instead of water and 3 whole eggs, not just the whites. 

While cooling the baked cake, I poked holes using a wooden spoon handle. 

I poured a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk into the holes. I then took a rubber spatula and spread the top of the cake to make sure all of the holes were covered with the condensed milk. 

I let the cake cool then placed it covered in the refrigerator for 3 hours. 

While it was cooling I cut my strawberries and added blackberries in a large pourable measuring glass bowl. To the combined fruit I added 1/4 cup of coarse raw sugar and 1/4 of water. I mixed the fruit well making sure the juices and sugar was completely dissolved. I refrigerated the fruit for later use. 

This created syrupy but yet chunky fruit to ladle onto the cake
I frosted the cake with 1 regular tub of Cool Whip. I love using Cool Whip with fruit! Cool Whip is a perfect balance of creamy whipped topping that isn’t too sweet. Frosting would be way too sweet! I adorned the cake with red, white, and blue sprinkles. 

This sat overnight as I made the cake in the 3rd of July. This allowed the cake time to absorb the sweetened condensed milk. 

Very easy and so delicious! Hope you had a terrific celebration. 

Ours was low key as it has been extremely hot in Phoenix. As I write this it is 5 pm. July 5 and it’s 🥵 hot. 

What I wouldn’t give to have a beach house somewhere to escape to! Or even a nice trailer somewhere cool. We become hermits trying to avoid the intense sun and heat. I do however take my dog for a 2 mile walk at about 6 am. If the temperature is below 90. Ugh . 

The life of the snowbirds in reverse. Leave for the summer and maybe come back in the fall? Maybe lol… 

This is typical July weather in Phoenix. The monsoon season should be renamed nonsoon. A no rain all dust and wind weather occurrence for many years now! I have watched this change happen. I’ve lived here for 20 years now. I’d really like to move but where ??? I’m working on manifesting a move. 🤔 . 

Have a terrific weekend!

No comments: